We love to work with community volunteers who would like to help with the festival on SciFest weekend.
Many opportunities are available as volunteer tasks; we can use helping hands from: local teachers, high school students, company organizations and groups, athletic teams, and beyond! By serving with your time at this wonderful festival of events, we can acknowledge your hours of service to fulfill community service commitments for honor societies and organizations, or for extra credit for courses if offered by your teacher/professor. Also, volunteers receive an official SciFest t-shirt!
The majority of help is needed on Science Day and for Maker Faire Lynchburg (Saturday and Sunday of the festival), but if you have an interested in a particular event or activity, let us know. Below is a list of roles that you’ll be able to mark your preference for volunteering:
- Registration – Help sign in participants in the morning and guard doorways to avoid any lost children. For Sunday, this is just working a registration and information table, no door guarding.
- Group Leader – Lead groups of children around the campus to each of their activities. Needed only for Saturday, and not for Sunday.
- Activity Leader – Help lead one of the Science Day activities (often with the oversight of a faculty member), or help lead a hands-on activity on Sunday.
- Activity Volunteer – Help the activity leaders run one of the activities.
- Little Scientists – Run hands-on activities for 3 to 7-year-olds at the Nursery. Saturday only.
If you are interested in volunteering, please fill out the form at https://bit.ly/scifestvol24. We appreciate your support to make SciFest 2024 a huge success! One of our Volunteer Coordinators will be in contact with you to go over your assigned role, and offer training opportunities as needed.
For teachers or industry professionals: there are other opportunities beyond the hands-on activities mentioned above, like judging the LEGO build and KidWind Challenges on Sunday. If these are of interest to you, let us know by either
- Judging at the Virginia Region 2000 KidWind Challenge: complete this form.
- Judging at the LEGO Expo: Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions about volunteering at SciFest, please email email@example.com.