Dates and Deadlines
Submission deadline: February 24, 2023
Finalists are notified: March 17, 2023
Award ceremony: March 24, 2023
Randolph College invites all K-12 students in Lynchburg and surrounding counties to submit science- or math-based poems. Three top prizes ($100, $50, and $25 gift cards) will be awarded to the three top poems in each grade group. If the winning poem is completed as a class assignment by more than 9 students in a class, the teacher will receive the same prize as the student. Finalists will be invited to read their poems at a catered reception during SciFest weekend, and the top 52 poems will be published in a book available free to all finalists.
All K-12 students are invited to submit a poem to the Randolph College SciFest Poetry Jam competition. Students or teachers may make submissions. We encourage teachers to have their entire class write poems and submit them to the competition.
The poem must have a theme focused on a science or math topic. Any poetry genre may be used, e.g. Haiku, limerick, free form, etc. Poems may be illustrated but only the text will be judged. Poems may be hand written or typed. All poems must be the original work of the student. Only one poem per student.
Submissions for 2023 are currently being accepted!
All submissions should include:
- Author’s first and last name, grade, school, and t-shirt size
- An email address for a contact for the entry (author, teacher, or guardian – preferably all three). If we do not have a valid e-mail address, we may not be able to notify you of receipt or of finalists.
- If the poem was completed in class, be sure to include the teacher and school principal names, and email addresses.
- Poem title
Electronic Submission Options
Electronic submissions are preferred and are due by midnight on Friday, February 24, 2023.
- Submit your entry by filling out this online form.
- Submit your entry by emailing email@example.com. You can send a type or scanned poem, or a link to a cloud storage service such as Google Drive or Dropbox.
You may also submit your poem by mail. Please note that your entry must be postmarked by Friday, February 24, 2023. Mail to:
Randolph College Science Festival
2500 Rivermont Avenue
Lynchburg, VA 24503
A panel of college judges will select finalists (52 poems: 13 from each grade range). Certificates will be awarded to each finalist, and all will be published in a book provided to all finalists. From the 52 poetry finalists, three top prizes ($100, $50, $25) will be awarded in four grade range categories: primary, elementary, middle school, and high school. Teachers will receive the same prize if the poem was done in their class which has more than 9 submissions.
2023 finalists will be announced here and on the I Love Randolph Science Facebook page by 5 p.m., Friday, March 17, 2023.
Finalists will be invited to read their poems at the SciFest Poetry Reading and Awards Ceremony, held at 6 p.m. on Friday, March 24, 2023. Parents and teachers will receive an invitation to the ceremony. All submitters, family, friends, and community members are welcome to join us for this happy event!
Poetry Books and Finalists
- List of Finalists and Prize Winners 2022
- List of Finalists and Prize Winners 2021
- List of Finalists and Prize Winners 2020
Finalists’ contributions can be found in the following books: